You want to update your kitchen cabinets but you are unsure just what your choices are when it comes to cabinets.
The choices don’t just stop at what type of material is used. Beyond the type of wood, you have the choice of colour –light or dark, and hardware. Then you will have to choose between stock or custom cabinets.
What if there is a way to refinish existing cabinets in order to save money if you are on a very limited budget?
A professional can help you with these questions during a consultation. You should be able to come up with an idea of what it will cost for stock, custom, or refinishing. With that information you will have a better idea of just what you can afford when it comes to updating your cabinets.
What is the difference between stock and custom cabinets?
Stock cabinets are those you would find in home improvement stores or prefabricated homes. Custom cabinets involve a professional cabinet maker taking measurements, talking to you about what you want out of your cabinets, storage space etc. to come up with a design to fit your kitchen. Then what medium you choose to have your cabinets made out of, painted, stained, natural etc. in order to build the cabinets for your kitchen and then hanging them.
What about refinishing? Can you sand the front faces of the cabinet and the door, use paint or laminate on the door itself and the facing and sides of the cabinets in order to give it a new look. New hardware with the paint, stain, or laminate will also help give a new look.
One idea is to use paint on the side and front faces of your cabinets, and accent colour on the doors themselves. With new hardware and the painted cabinets it could tie your appliances and counters together quite nicely.
Maybe you would like glass on your doors then your choice will be plain, frosted, stained glass. Before you decide on this consider where you live, how many people live in your house and do you have time to constantly clean the fingerprints, dust, or grease from the glass?
Today there are many choices in hinges, pulls, and handles when it comes to hardware for your kitchen cabinets. There are different mediums from stainless steel, copper, porcelain, and more. Then there is the shape of each of these hardware items. What lasts the longest, what is the best choice for your kitchen design, what is most popular.
As you can see there are many choices to be made when it comes to updating your kitchen cabinets beyond budget concerns. In order to make sure you get your dream kitchen it is best to have a consultation with a professional to understand the choices available, the prices of each, and how it best fits your design and how long it will last. You do not want to spend money to update your kitchen to only have it fall apart in a few years.
Additional Articles about Kitchen Cabinets:
- 5 Storage Solutions for Kitchen Renovations
- All you Need to Know About Kitchen Cabinets
- DIY: Paint Kitchen Cabinets Like a Pro
- How to Get a Trendy Kitchen That Won’t Soon Be Outdated
- How to Select the Perfect Cabinet
- Important Questions to Ask When Shopping for Kitchen Cabinets
- Kitchen Cabinets: 7 Important Things to Know
- Kitchen Cabinets: You Don’t Have to Start from Scratch
- Kitchen Hardware
- Kitchen Remodelling: Cabinet Door Styles 101
- Light or Dark Kitchen Cabinets?
- Modern VS Old: Managing Contemporary Styles
- Redoing Your Kitchen Cabinets? 5 Trends to Know About
- Remodelling 101: Creating an Efficient Kitchen Space
- Shaker Cabinets: The Perfect Choice for All Kitchen Styles
- Should I Hire a Professional for My Kitchen Design?
- Simple Solutions for A Flawless Cabinet Installation
- Storage Solutions for Your Kitchen Made Simple
- The Benefits of Custom Designed Kitchen Cabinets
- Treasured Freatures: Cabinet Storage Trends in 2016
- Yes! You CAN Have Light Kitchen Cabinets and Dark Floors!
- What to Consider When Buying Kitchen Cabinets
- Kitchen Cabinets Designs: Which is Right for You
- Tips for Staining Kitchen Cabinets
- Cleaning and Caring for Kitchen Cabinets
- How to Choose Contractor for Kitchen Cabinet Installation
- Choosing Kitchen Cabinets: Stock or Custom
- Kitchen Cabinet Colour Schemes & Finishes
- Benefits of Ready to Assemble Kitchen Cabinets
- Tips for Choosing High Quality Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Timeless Colour Combos for your Kitchen cabinet
- 7 Ways to Maximize Storage Space in your Kitchen Cabinets
- 8 Mistakes you want to avoid while painting kitchen cabinets
- Choosing a Kitchen Cabinet Material: A Simple Guide
- Budgeting for your kitchen cabinets
- Cabinet Door Styles to spruce up your kitchen
- Painting your Kitchen cabinets
- The A2Z of Kitchen Cabinetry – Part 1
- The A2Z of Kitchen Cabinetry – Part 2
- The Complete Guide to Refacing your Kitchen Cabinets
- Things to ask your Custom Kitchen Cabinet Maker
- Care and Maintenance Tips for Your Kitchen Cabinets
- Adding More Cabinets to Your Kitchen
- Re-facing Your Tired Kitchen Cabinets
- Painting Your Kitchen Cabinets to Update the Look
- Why You Need to Update Your Kitchen Cabinets
- The Best Way to Clean Your Kitchen Cabinets
- Refreshing Your Kitchen Cabinets
- Ways to Update Your Kitchen Cabinets
- Are You Getting the Most Out of Your Kitchen Cabinet Space
- Are Your Kitchen Cabinets Making Your Kitchen Look Old and Drab
- Benefits of Choosing Custom Kitchen Cabinets
- Add 5 These Features to Your Kitchen Cabinets
- Painting Your Kitchen Cabinets Doesn’t Have to Be Hard: Tips to Help
- Learn How to Paint Your Kitchen Cabinets: The 101 Guide
- Your Kitchen Cabinet Buying Checklist
- Your Kitchen Cabinet Guide: What to Know and Look For
- Signs You Need to Replace Your Cabinets and Not Reface Them
- Beautiful Kitchen Cabinets: Door and Drawer Options
- Things to Consider When Choosing Kitchen Cabinet Pulls and Knobs