There are a few things you can do to refresh your kitchen cabinets without breaking the bank.
Cleaning the cabinets is the first step. Remove the doors. Use mineral spirits and #0000 steel wool and gently rub the door, as well as the facing that the door hangs on to clean it. If you are worried that you may damage your wood with the steel wool you can also use oil soap specifically for wood and a nylon scrubber.
You are now ready to put a new finish on your cabinets. You can now apply clear wax free shellac to the natural colour or you can make them a dark stain of wood before the shellac. You can also paint them if you choose to. Also depending on the type of accent or embellishment you wish to use that may need to go on before or after the clear shellac.
Types of accents for kitchen cabinets
The most popular today are;
- Shaker –Works with just about any décor from contemporary to traditional.
- Louvered –typically used on windows they add a distinct style to the kitchen.
- Flat –simple and elegant.
- Inset –sits inside the cabinet frame with a classic look that will last for years.
- Distressed –these will fit perfectly if you wish to have the antique look.
- Beadboard –similar to an old style wall covering that would be a beautiful cottage style look for your kitchen.
- Thermofoil –durable and cost effective made by molding MDF and then wrapping in a plastic coating and baked at intense heat for a complete seal.
- Custom –made by a professional wood work, these are expensive however if you can’t find a style from those listed above this may be your best choice.
Other ways to accent are glass panels in the door, placing tin punch outs over the wood in each corner of the door face. The embellishment will be a customization that fits your unique style.
Then you can apply new hinges and handles to the door. Here the possibilities are all most endless. Depending on your style – cottage, contemporary, traditional – you will need to then choose a finish. Finishes can be bronze, nickel, chrome, iron, antique, and brass. Then you will have to choose handle or knob. This is where you have to be able to visualize these on the door against the finish you have chosen and the style you have chosen to go with.
Now that the outside has been renewed and fits the style you have chosen, you may want to think about cabinet organization. There are small things you can do to help organize and create more space inside your cabinets. By adding wire coated corner shelves for smaller plates to sit on over top of larger plates. Both are then within easy reach and you no longer must pick up the smaller plates to get the larger plates. The same thing can be done with a spice rack on the inside of the cabinet door.
Additional Articles about Kitchen Cabinets:
- 5 Storage Solutions for Kitchen Renovations
- All you Need to Know About Kitchen Cabinets
- DIY: Paint Kitchen Cabinets Like a Pro
- How to Get a Trendy Kitchen That Won’t Soon Be Outdated
- How to Select the Perfect Cabinet
- Important Questions to Ask When Shopping for Kitchen Cabinets
- Kitchen Cabinets: 7 Important Things to Know
- Kitchen Cabinets: You Don’t Have to Start from Scratch
- Kitchen Hardware
- Kitchen Remodelling: Cabinet Door Styles 101
- Light or Dark Kitchen Cabinets?
- Modern VS Old: Managing Contemporary Styles
- Redoing Your Kitchen Cabinets? 5 Trends to Know About
- Remodelling 101: Creating an Efficient Kitchen Space
- Shaker Cabinets: The Perfect Choice for All Kitchen Styles
- Should I Hire a Professional for My Kitchen Design?
- Simple Solutions for A Flawless Cabinet Installation
- Storage Solutions for Your Kitchen Made Simple
- The Benefits of Custom Designed Kitchen Cabinets
- Treasured Freatures: Cabinet Storage Trends in 2016
- Yes! You CAN Have Light Kitchen Cabinets and Dark Floors!
- What to Consider When Buying Kitchen Cabinets
- Kitchen Cabinets Designs: Which is Right for You
- Tips for Staining Kitchen Cabinets
- Cleaning and Caring for Kitchen Cabinets
- How to Choose Contractor for Kitchen Cabinet Installation
- Choosing Kitchen Cabinets: Stock or Custom
- Kitchen Cabinet Colour Schemes & Finishes
- Benefits of Ready to Assemble Kitchen Cabinets
- Tips for Choosing High Quality Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Timeless Colour Combos for your Kitchen cabinet
- 7 Ways to Maximize Storage Space in your Kitchen Cabinets
- 8 Mistakes you want to avoid while painting kitchen cabinets
- Choosing a Kitchen Cabinet Material: A Simple Guide
- Budgeting for your kitchen cabinets
- Cabinet Door Styles to spruce up your kitchen
- Painting your Kitchen cabinets
- The A2Z of Kitchen Cabinetry – Part 1
- The A2Z of Kitchen Cabinetry – Part 2
- The Complete Guide to Refacing your Kitchen Cabinets
- Things to ask your Custom Kitchen Cabinet Maker
- Care and Maintenance Tips for Your Kitchen Cabinets
- Adding More Cabinets to Your Kitchen
- Re-facing Your Tired Kitchen Cabinets
- Painting Your Kitchen Cabinets to Update the Look
- Why You Need to Update Your Kitchen Cabinets
- The Best Way to Clean Your Kitchen Cabinets
- Refreshing Your Kitchen Cabinets
- Ways to Update Your Kitchen Cabinets
- Are You Getting the Most Out of Your Kitchen Cabinet Space
- Are Your Kitchen Cabinets Making Your Kitchen Look Old and Drab
- Benefits of Choosing Custom Kitchen Cabinets
- Add 5 These Features to Your Kitchen Cabinets
- Painting Your Kitchen Cabinets Doesn’t Have to Be Hard: Tips to Help
- Learn How to Paint Your Kitchen Cabinets: The 101 Guide
- Your Kitchen Cabinet Buying Checklist
- Your Kitchen Cabinet Guide: What to Know and Look For
- Signs You Need to Replace Your Cabinets and Not Reface Them
- Beautiful Kitchen Cabinets: Door and Drawer Options
- Things to Consider When Choosing Kitchen Cabinet Pulls and Knobs