No room has a greater drawing power for guests or regular inhabitants of a home than the kitchen. There is an undeniable allure in the smell of dinner, the warmth emanating from a hot stove, and the togetherness suggested by a kitchen table that no other room can match. This is why the design choices you make for your kitchen may be the most important in your whole home. As much as guests and family may venture off into other rooms, the kitchen remains the center of attention, as well as a core place where memories are formed.
One primary concern to designers is whether kitchen cabinets should take on a dark or a light hue. Most certainly, each of these styles has its benefits, and your ultimate conclusion will depend on your taste as much as your personality. One thing must be kept in mind when selecting the shades of colour you will use for cabinets, however. You must remember that a cabinet does not stand by itself. Rather, the cabinets are but a component of a full kitchen design and should be meticulously chosen to work in conjunction with its various surroundings.
On the Lighter Side
That being said, the most flexible and versatile shade for kitchen cabinets is a lighter shade. It can simply emit particularly desirable impressions without the need of coordinating the rest of the kitchen with too much precision. If for example, regardless of the colour, lighter shades mirror the expansiveness of a clear sky. Lighter kitchen cabinets make whoever is in the kitchen feel like they are in a wide open area.
Flexibility is also a hallmark of the lighter hues, as lighter cabinets will lend themselves to combination with any colours insofar as your wall’s base colour, curtains, and other furnishings or embellishments in the kitchen. It’s possible to have a black countertop or a dark mahogany kitchen table, for example, without any problems if most of your kitchen is lightly coloured. Conversely, if your cabinets are darker in nature, then conscientious designing is required to avoid the whole ensemble affecting an impression too somber or heavy.
Another strength of the lighter shades is that light hues suggest cleanliness and order. These are standard characteristics of any good kitchen. After all, people want to feel like they are eating in a sanitary location. Light shades of colour provide this impression automatically. That is not to say that dark shades look dirty, but they have less of that cleanly glow whites, light blues, and other brightly tinted colours seem to effortlessly emanate. Unfortunately, this can also become a weakness for your colour choices if you maintain your cooking space haphazardly. The closer a colour is to white, the more easily it becomes mottled by daily use. When cabinets are a pristine white, in fact, there is nowhere for dirt to hide and you must either keep your kitchen in tip-top shape or it will show the signs of neglect.
The Allure of Dark Cabinets
Ultimately, the choice depends on what kind of personality you want your kitchen to reflect. Dark shades have their place. They hearken to elegance, formality, and in some cases, dramatic flair, which is the perfect impression some people want to leave their guests with. Contrary to the situation for light-coloured cabinets, they also show less signs of wear or messiness, so they will last longer. The challenge for dark cabinets comes in combining them appropriately with the rest of the environment. If your kitchen is too dark, then it may appear to be small or tightly enclosed. Remember to take into account the physical size of the room and the colour of the rest of your furnishings when considering dark hues for your cabinets.
Additional Articles about Kitchen Cabinets:
- 5 Storage Solutions for Kitchen Renovations
- All you Need to Know About Kitchen Cabinets
- DIY: Paint Kitchen Cabinets Like a Pro
- How to Get a Trendy Kitchen That Won’t Soon Be Outdated
- How to Select the Perfect Cabinet
- Important Questions to Ask When Shopping for Kitchen Cabinets
- Kitchen Cabinets: 7 Important Things to Know
- Kitchen Cabinets: You Don’t Have to Start from Scratch
- Kitchen Hardware
- Kitchen Remodelling: Cabinet Door Styles 101
- Light or Dark Kitchen Cabinets?
- Modern VS Old: Managing Contemporary Styles
- Redoing Your Kitchen Cabinets? 5 Trends to Know About
- Remodelling 101: Creating an Efficient Kitchen Space
- Shaker Cabinets: The Perfect Choice for All Kitchen Styles
- Should I Hire a Professional for My Kitchen Design?
- Simple Solutions for A Flawless Cabinet Installation
- Storage Solutions for Your Kitchen Made Simple
- The Benefits of Custom Designed Kitchen Cabinets
- Treasured Freatures: Cabinet Storage Trends in 2016
- Yes! You CAN Have Light Kitchen Cabinets and Dark Floors!
- What to Consider When Buying Kitchen Cabinets
- Kitchen Cabinets Designs: Which is Right for You
- Tips for Staining Kitchen Cabinets
- Cleaning and Caring for Kitchen Cabinets
- How to Choose Contractor for Kitchen Cabinet Installation
- Choosing Kitchen Cabinets: Stock or Custom
- Kitchen Cabinet Colour Schemes & Finishes
- Benefits of Ready to Assemble Kitchen Cabinets
- Tips for Choosing High Quality Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Timeless Colour Combos for your Kitchen cabinet
- 7 Ways to Maximize Storage Space in your Kitchen Cabinets
- 8 Mistakes you want to avoid while painting kitchen cabinets
- Choosing a Kitchen Cabinet Material: A Simple Guide
- Budgeting for your kitchen cabinets
- Cabinet Door Styles to spruce up your kitchen
- Painting your Kitchen cabinets
- The A2Z of Kitchen Cabinetry – Part 1
- The A2Z of Kitchen Cabinetry – Part 2
- The Complete Guide to Refacing your Kitchen Cabinets
- Things to ask your Custom Kitchen Cabinet Maker
- Care and Maintenance Tips for Your Kitchen Cabinets
- Adding More Cabinets to Your Kitchen
- Re-facing Your Tired Kitchen Cabinets
- Painting Your Kitchen Cabinets to Update the Look
- Why You Need to Update Your Kitchen Cabinets
- The Best Way to Clean Your Kitchen Cabinets
- Refreshing Your Kitchen Cabinets
- Ways to Update Your Kitchen Cabinets
- Are You Getting the Most Out of Your Kitchen Cabinet Space
- Are Your Kitchen Cabinets Making Your Kitchen Look Old and Drab
- Benefits of Choosing Custom Kitchen Cabinets
- Add 5 These Features to Your Kitchen Cabinets
- Painting Your Kitchen Cabinets Doesn’t Have to Be Hard: Tips to Help
- Learn How to Paint Your Kitchen Cabinets: The 101 Guide
- Your Kitchen Cabinet Buying Checklist
- Your Kitchen Cabinet Guide: What to Know and Look For
- Signs You Need to Replace Your Cabinets and Not Reface Them
- Beautiful Kitchen Cabinets: Door and Drawer Options
- Things to Consider When Choosing Kitchen Cabinet Pulls and Knobs