Redoing Your Kitchen Cabinets? 5 Trends to Know About
Remodelling your kitchen is exciting. In addition to getting a brand-new space that will look fantastic, you’re often upgrading appliances, creating more storage—in essence, designing a whole new way of using your kitchen.
Strategize Before Starting
Of course, you want your kitchen in your Toronto home to look beautiful. However, you also want it to be functional. Because of this, you’ll need to do quite a bit of planning before starting on the new design. Be realistic and think about how you actually use your kitchen every day. What dishes, tools, and appliances do you use most often? How much food do you like to keep in your pantry? Do you use your kitchen often—is it a frequent gathering place for your family as you cook—or is it merely a place that you use to grab a quick cup of coffee and toast a bagel as you’re on your way out the door? All of these things will determine factors of your overall design—where things are located, how much space you devote to areas such as your pantry, and whether you use heavy-duty, custom cabinets that will hold up to constant use or less expensive ones that are fine for casual use.
Add an Island
A kitchen island provides additional workspace, which is valuable in any kitchen. Also valuable? Extra storage. Your island can be used to stash away appliances such as your microwave and can hold a variety of cabinets, shelves, and drawers. Wire it for electricity and install additional electrical outlets in it to accommodate small appliances. Use the same colour cabinets as the rest of your kitchen or install a contrasting colour on your island to really make it pop.
Modern Cabinetry Has a Lot to Offer
Today’s cabinets go beyond the simple open-and-shut doors with fixed shelving inside. When you open a cabinet in a newly-remodelled kitchen, you’ll likely find swivel shelves that pull out so that you can reach items in the very back. You may find Lazy Susan-type spinning devices inside or racks that pull out to display bottles of cleaning supplies. Drawers can accommodate tilted shelves inside to display your spice collection much better than a traditional spice rack. The options are endless with today’s cabinet storage options.
Utilize Unexpected Organization Space
Even with today’s exciting new cabinet storage technology, it’s so unexpected to store pots and pans hidden away in drawers. If you have a nice set that you’d like to show off, go old-school and get a pot rack. You can find ones that hang from the wall—or you can have one installed on the ceiling and hang your pots from right above your kitchen island. Instead of a traditional knife block (that takes up counter space), go restaurant-style and hang them on a magnetic knife strip mounted on your wall. When you get creative with your storage ideas, your kitchen becomes more colourful and interesting.
Most of all, when you’re working to design your new kitchen—have fun. Hang your items up, store them down below in funky, modern cabinet storage, or show them off with glass-front cabinetry. At Kitchen and Bath, we want you to have fun planning out your new space as well as when you finally start using it. Keep in mind that there are no right answers when it comes to remodelling your kitchen. We’ll try to guide you in a way that will make the best use of your space. Beyond that, the rest is up to you.
Additional Articles about Kitchen Cabinets:
- 5 Storage Solutions for Kitchen Renovations
- All you Need to Know About Kitchen Cabinets
- DIY: Paint Kitchen Cabinets Like a Pro
- How to Get a Trendy Kitchen That Won’t Soon Be Outdated
- How to Select the Perfect Cabinet
- Important Questions to Ask When Shopping for Kitchen Cabinets
- Kitchen Cabinets: 7 Important Things to Know
- Kitchen Cabinets: You Don’t Have to Start from Scratch
- Kitchen Hardware
- Kitchen Remodelling: Cabinet Door Styles 101
- Light or Dark Kitchen Cabinets?
- Modern VS Old: Managing Contemporary Styles
- Redoing Your Kitchen Cabinets? 5 Trends to Know About
- Remodelling 101: Creating an Efficient Kitchen Space
- Shaker Cabinets: The Perfect Choice for All Kitchen Styles
- Should I Hire a Professional for My Kitchen Design?
- Simple Solutions for A Flawless Cabinet Installation
- Storage Solutions for Your Kitchen Made Simple
- The Benefits of Custom Designed Kitchen Cabinets
- Treasured Freatures: Cabinet Storage Trends in 2016
- Yes! You CAN Have Light Kitchen Cabinets and Dark Floors!
- What to Consider When Buying Kitchen Cabinets
- Kitchen Cabinets Designs: Which is Right for You
- Tips for Staining Kitchen Cabinets
- Cleaning and Caring for Kitchen Cabinets
- How to Choose Contractor for Kitchen Cabinet Installation
- Choosing Kitchen Cabinets: Stock or Custom
- Kitchen Cabinet Colour Schemes & Finishes
- Benefits of Ready to Assemble Kitchen Cabinets
- Tips for Choosing High Quality Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Timeless Colour Combos for your Kitchen cabinet
- 7 Ways to Maximize Storage Space in your Kitchen Cabinets
- 8 Mistakes you want to avoid while painting kitchen cabinets
- Choosing a Kitchen Cabinet Material: A Simple Guide
- Budgeting for your kitchen cabinets
- Cabinet Door Styles to spruce up your kitchen
- Painting your Kitchen cabinets
- The A2Z of Kitchen Cabinetry – Part 1
- The A2Z of Kitchen Cabinetry – Part 2
- The Complete Guide to Refacing your Kitchen Cabinets
- Things to ask your Custom Kitchen Cabinet Maker
- Care and Maintenance Tips for Your Kitchen Cabinets
- Adding More Cabinets to Your Kitchen
- Re-facing Your Tired Kitchen Cabinets
- Painting Your Kitchen Cabinets to Update the Look
- Why You Need to Update Your Kitchen Cabinets
- The Best Way to Clean Your Kitchen Cabinets
- Refreshing Your Kitchen Cabinets
- Ways to Update Your Kitchen Cabinets
- Are You Getting the Most Out of Your Kitchen Cabinet Space
- Are Your Kitchen Cabinets Making Your Kitchen Look Old and Drab
- Benefits of Choosing Custom Kitchen Cabinets
- Add 5 These Features to Your Kitchen Cabinets
- Painting Your Kitchen Cabinets Doesn’t Have to Be Hard: Tips to Help
- Learn How to Paint Your Kitchen Cabinets: The 101 Guide
- Your Kitchen Cabinet Buying Checklist
- Your Kitchen Cabinet Guide: What to Know and Look For
- Signs You Need to Replace Your Cabinets and Not Reface Them
- Beautiful Kitchen Cabinets: Door and Drawer Options
- Things to Consider When Choosing Kitchen Cabinet Pulls and Knobs