The kitchen is the heart of any home. It is a place where people spend long hours with their families and friends, cooking, and sometimes even dining. In the earlier times, it was placed at the rear of the house and only came with the most basic of amenities. Currently, however, the kitchen has come to the forefront and has gained equal importance as any other space of the house.
Cabinets are often the first thing that would come to mind when they designing and building a kitchen, as they occupy much of the space and are responsible for storing food, appliances, dishware, and other essentials. Given this knowledge, the kitchen cabinets of the past were created to maximum storage capacity, with little attention paid to design elements. But, with changing times and the concept of open kitchen coming into limelight, some are opting for a more modern, chic appearance in their kitchens. The usual thick, top-heavy cabinet with a surplus of shelves has become a much less desirable aesthetic. Now, homeowners want their kitchen space to include statement art or television sets for entertainment and visual appeal.
So, how is one able to enjoy the benefits of both an open layout and sensible kitchen cabinets? The answer to this lies in the ability to create visual breaks in the usual bank of cabinets. Adding floating shelves between upper cabinets or installing glass panelled cabinet doors can change up the style and give the room a more open impression.
Another trick is to add a floor to ceiling cabinet or pantry – preferably in a corner – at one side of the kitchen allowing maximum storage in one place, and leaving the remaining area open. Additionally, rearranging items and regularly disposing of unnecessary appliances or dishes can help to maintain organization and adds order and brilliance to the kitchen area.
Adding light to the area where wall art or statement pieces will be showcased will illuminate any dull space. The use of sheer window curtains gives the flexibility of allows plenty of sunlight in, brightening the room, while still affording a measure of privacy for the home’s occupants.
Making sure to use the space you have wisely is crucial to creating the illusion of spaciousness, while providing all of your cutlery, dishes, and other appliances with an appropriate place to be stored. Suspended wine racks for stemware is not only clever for freeing up cabinet space, but it creates an elegant appearance, particularly for those who are consummate wine drinkers or entertainers. Similarly, consider having a wine rack installed nearby, either on display or tucked away for easy access.
The style of kitchen one chooses to incorporate into their home depends entirely on the taste and preference of the owner. There are plenty of options available to make the space lively and sophisticated. The benefit of having a closed space with lots of cabinets has the feel of a cozy, intimate room that’s inviting to guests, and gives the area a personality of its own, having the appearance of being more secluded from the rest of the house. A formal dinner can be arranged with utmost comfort, without distraction from sources outside of the preparation area.
On the other hand, if one opts for an open kitchen it gives a more modern, chic look. An open kitchen stands tall when it comes to family bonding as the person who is cooking can easily interact and participate in other activities happening in the house. And for smaller homes, an open kitchen gives the illusion of space and volume to the house.
Additional Articles about Kitchen Cabinets:
- 5 Storage Solutions for Kitchen Renovations
- All you Need to Know About Kitchen Cabinets
- DIY: Paint Kitchen Cabinets Like a Pro
- How to Get a Trendy Kitchen That Won’t Soon Be Outdated
- How to Select the Perfect Cabinet
- Important Questions to Ask When Shopping for Kitchen Cabinets
- Kitchen Cabinets: 7 Important Things to Know
- Kitchen Cabinets: You Don’t Have to Start from Scratch
- Kitchen Hardware
- Kitchen Remodelling: Cabinet Door Styles 101
- Light or Dark Kitchen Cabinets?
- Modern VS Old: Managing Contemporary Styles
- Redoing Your Kitchen Cabinets? 5 Trends to Know About
- Remodelling 101: Creating an Efficient Kitchen Space
- Shaker Cabinets: The Perfect Choice for All Kitchen Styles
- Should I Hire a Professional for My Kitchen Design?
- Simple Solutions for A Flawless Cabinet Installation
- Storage Solutions for Your Kitchen Made Simple
- The Benefits of Custom Designed Kitchen Cabinets
- Treasured Freatures: Cabinet Storage Trends in 2016
- Yes! You CAN Have Light Kitchen Cabinets and Dark Floors!
- What to Consider When Buying Kitchen Cabinets
- Kitchen Cabinets Designs: Which is Right for You
- Tips for Staining Kitchen Cabinets
- Cleaning and Caring for Kitchen Cabinets
- How to Choose Contractor for Kitchen Cabinet Installation
- Choosing Kitchen Cabinets: Stock or Custom
- Kitchen Cabinet Colour Schemes & Finishes
- Benefits of Ready to Assemble Kitchen Cabinets
- Tips for Choosing High Quality Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Timeless Colour Combos for your Kitchen cabinet
- 7 Ways to Maximize Storage Space in your Kitchen Cabinets
- 8 Mistakes you want to avoid while painting kitchen cabinets
- Choosing a Kitchen Cabinet Material: A Simple Guide
- Budgeting for your kitchen cabinets
- Cabinet Door Styles to spruce up your kitchen
- Painting your Kitchen cabinets
- The A2Z of Kitchen Cabinetry – Part 1
- The A2Z of Kitchen Cabinetry – Part 2
- The Complete Guide to Refacing your Kitchen Cabinets
- Things to ask your Custom Kitchen Cabinet Maker
- Care and Maintenance Tips for Your Kitchen Cabinets
- Adding More Cabinets to Your Kitchen
- Re-facing Your Tired Kitchen Cabinets
- Painting Your Kitchen Cabinets to Update the Look
- Why You Need to Update Your Kitchen Cabinets
- The Best Way to Clean Your Kitchen Cabinets
- Refreshing Your Kitchen Cabinets
- Ways to Update Your Kitchen Cabinets
- Are You Getting the Most Out of Your Kitchen Cabinet Space
- Are Your Kitchen Cabinets Making Your Kitchen Look Old and Drab
- Benefits of Choosing Custom Kitchen Cabinets
- Add 5 These Features to Your Kitchen Cabinets
- Painting Your Kitchen Cabinets Doesn’t Have to Be Hard: Tips to Help
- Learn How to Paint Your Kitchen Cabinets: The 101 Guide
- Your Kitchen Cabinet Buying Checklist
- Your Kitchen Cabinet Guide: What to Know and Look For
- Signs You Need to Replace Your Cabinets and Not Reface Them
- Beautiful Kitchen Cabinets: Door and Drawer Options
- Things to Consider When Choosing Kitchen Cabinet Pulls and Knobs