One of the most important aspects of kitchen design is the choice of cabinets. They play a leading in role in determining the functionality and appearance of any kitchen, regardless of the design or overall theme. When shopping for kitchen cabinets, you will find that there are many, many options available. It’s easy for someone to feel confused or overwhelmed. To help you better understand your choices, here are some questions you should be asking:
- What are the basic types of cabinets?
Your primary choices include custom, semi-custom, and stock. Stock cabinetry is usually ready to assemble upon arrival. They require little more than a bit of preparation and installation. If you have experience, you can install them yourself. If not, you should be able to find a contractor who will install them at a low price.
If any adjustments need to be made in size or design, semi-custom options are available and less expensive than fully custom cabinets.
Custom cabinets cost the most money, but they offer the most options in terms of color, finish, size, style, and overall design.
- What factors affect price?
As with any factor involving home renovation and remodeling, price varies considerably with cabinetry. At the very least, you are looking at $150 Canadian for a single stock unit. If you want a custom unit, the cost will go up – especially if you want high-quality materials and craftsmanship. In addition to the cost of the cabinet itself, you will have to pay for shipping and installation, unless you are confident that you will be able to install everything yourself. The costs vary from store to store, and contractor to contractor.
- What wood species can the cabinets be crafted in?
Just about any wood species can be used in the crafting of cabinets. Common types of wood include variations of cherry, pine, oak, maple, walnut, ash, etc. Many finishes and stains are available as well. The doors can be made of either wood or glass.
- Should you choose built-in cabinets or open shelves?
Open-plan living is pretty trendy these days. Kitchens featuring cabinets that run from one end of the wall to the other are no longer the norm. This doesn’t mean that you should do away with fitted cabinets, as they are still storage-efficient and valuable, especially if you don’t have a large kitchen. A good compromise is to install fitted cabinets beneath the counter and place open shelves above.
- Are custom cabinets right for you?
Custom cabinetry is recommended if you cannot find the ideal stock cabinets for your kitchen. If your countertop is higher than the standard, or your kitchen layout has an irregular floor plan, standard cabinets probably won’t fit. You might also have a distinctive design and require cabinets with a specific appearance or color. If a standard cabinet simply will not look right or fit correctly in your kitchen, a custom solution is ideal.
- Will you need the cabinets installed professionally?
If you do not have the confidence to install the cabinets yourself, you will need a professional to come in. you will definitely require a contractor if you have custom cabinetry that needs to be installed. Even if you just order ready to assemble cabinets, they can be tricky to install if you don’t know what you are doing.
Keep these questions in mind when shopping for kitchen cabinets and you should be able to narrow your options down.
Additional Articles about Kitchen Cabinets:
- 5 Storage Solutions for Kitchen Renovations
- All you Need to Know About Kitchen Cabinets
- DIY: Paint Kitchen Cabinets Like a Pro
- How to Get a Trendy Kitchen That Won’t Soon Be Outdated
- How to Select the Perfect Cabinet
- Important Questions to Ask When Shopping for Kitchen Cabinets
- Kitchen Cabinets: 7 Important Things to Know
- Kitchen Cabinets: You Don’t Have to Start from Scratch
- Kitchen Hardware
- Kitchen Remodelling: Cabinet Door Styles 101
- Light or Dark Kitchen Cabinets?
- Modern VS Old: Managing Contemporary Styles
- Redoing Your Kitchen Cabinets? 5 Trends to Know About
- Remodelling 101: Creating an Efficient Kitchen Space
- Shaker Cabinets: The Perfect Choice for All Kitchen Styles
- Should I Hire a Professional for My Kitchen Design?
- Simple Solutions for A Flawless Cabinet Installation
- Storage Solutions for Your Kitchen Made Simple
- The Benefits of Custom Designed Kitchen Cabinets
- Treasured Freatures: Cabinet Storage Trends in 2016
- Yes! You CAN Have Light Kitchen Cabinets and Dark Floors!
- What to Consider When Buying Kitchen Cabinets
- Kitchen Cabinets Designs: Which is Right for You
- Tips for Staining Kitchen Cabinets
- Cleaning and Caring for Kitchen Cabinets
- How to Choose Contractor for Kitchen Cabinet Installation
- Choosing Kitchen Cabinets: Stock or Custom
- Kitchen Cabinet Colour Schemes & Finishes
- Benefits of Ready to Assemble Kitchen Cabinets
- Tips for Choosing High Quality Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Timeless Colour Combos for your Kitchen cabinet
- 7 Ways to Maximize Storage Space in your Kitchen Cabinets
- 8 Mistakes you want to avoid while painting kitchen cabinets
- Choosing a Kitchen Cabinet Material: A Simple Guide
- Budgeting for your kitchen cabinets
- Cabinet Door Styles to spruce up your kitchen
- Painting your Kitchen cabinets
- The A2Z of Kitchen Cabinetry – Part 1
- The A2Z of Kitchen Cabinetry – Part 2
- The Complete Guide to Refacing your Kitchen Cabinets
- Things to ask your Custom Kitchen Cabinet Maker
- Care and Maintenance Tips for Your Kitchen Cabinets
- Adding More Cabinets to Your Kitchen
- Re-facing Your Tired Kitchen Cabinets
- Painting Your Kitchen Cabinets to Update the Look
- Why You Need to Update Your Kitchen Cabinets
- The Best Way to Clean Your Kitchen Cabinets
- Refreshing Your Kitchen Cabinets
- Ways to Update Your Kitchen Cabinets
- Are You Getting the Most Out of Your Kitchen Cabinet Space
- Are Your Kitchen Cabinets Making Your Kitchen Look Old and Drab
- Benefits of Choosing Custom Kitchen Cabinets
- Add 5 These Features to Your Kitchen Cabinets
- Painting Your Kitchen Cabinets Doesn’t Have to Be Hard: Tips to Help
- Learn How to Paint Your Kitchen Cabinets: The 101 Guide
- Your Kitchen Cabinet Buying Checklist
- Your Kitchen Cabinet Guide: What to Know and Look For
- Signs You Need to Replace Your Cabinets and Not Reface Them
- Beautiful Kitchen Cabinets: Door and Drawer Options
- Things to Consider When Choosing Kitchen Cabinet Pulls and Knobs