From choosing the wood to styling the finish according to your tastes and even matching odd angles in your kitchen, there are many advantages of getting custom kitchen cabinets made. If you can afford it, why not?
You do not have to worry about the durability either.
But if this is the first kitchen remodel that you are undertaking, then it helps to be prepared with some very basic information which will help you immensely once the project gets underway.
Here are some questions that you can ask your custom kitchen cabinet maker.
What wood will you use for the cabinetry?
With strong grains and the ability to stain it anyway, the most obvious choice of solid wood for making kitchen cabinets is oak. But there are options galore. Hickory, Birch, Cherry, Maple, Ash and Pine are other options. There are also exotic woods like wormy chestnut and cypress which are not normally used. Some cabinet makers may also use a variety of materials to make the cabinet. The frames maybe made of solid wood but the cabinet boxes may be made of plywood. Ensure that you ask these details. If you are getting custom cabinetry made, then avoid the use of MDF.
Will the wood be checked for moisture content?
Excessive moisture in the wooden cabinetry can cause warping which significantly reduces the lifespan of the cabinets. It also prevents certain finishes and stains from adhering to the wood. Ensure that the cabinet maker checks the wood for its moisture levels.
Will the doors and drawers be outsourced?
Many cabinet makers make the cabinet frames themselves but outsource the doors and drawer fronts. This may not make much of a difference to the end result for some people. Others however, consider this to be a compromise on quality. Mass produced doors and drawer fronts just does not have the same quality or finish as a custom made cabinet. So, if you are extremely choosy about the finish, ask your cabinet maker this beforehand.
What hardware will be used in the cabinets?
The interior hardware used in the cabinets affects the functionality. So ensure that you know what type of hardware is used.
Will it have a warranty and what will be covered?
Most reliable cabinet makers will offer a warranty on their work. Ensure that you have a thorough understanding of this. Get this in writing if need be.
When will the work be completed?
It is important that the cabinet maker gives you an estimated timeframe to complete the work. While a minor extension is acceptable, you should ensure that you stay on track with your time and budget.
Does the price include the cost of installation?
Once again, most respectable cabinetmakers will give you a detailed breakdown of the price quote. If you haven’t received it, then ask whether the quote includes the price of installing the cabinets.
These are some of the common but important questions that will give you information about the type of cabinets that will be made. Once you are satisfied with the answers, you are all set to commence your kitchen remodel project.
Additional Articles about Kitchen Cabinets:
- 5 Storage Solutions for Kitchen Renovations
- All you Need to Know About Kitchen Cabinets
- DIY: Paint Kitchen Cabinets Like a Pro
- How to Get a Trendy Kitchen That Won’t Soon Be Outdated
- How to Select the Perfect Cabinet
- Important Questions to Ask When Shopping for Kitchen Cabinets
- Kitchen Cabinets: 7 Important Things to Know
- Kitchen Cabinets: You Don’t Have to Start from Scratch
- Kitchen Hardware
- Kitchen Remodelling: Cabinet Door Styles 101
- Light or Dark Kitchen Cabinets?
- Modern VS Old: Managing Contemporary Styles
- Redoing Your Kitchen Cabinets? 5 Trends to Know About
- Remodelling 101: Creating an Efficient Kitchen Space
- Shaker Cabinets: The Perfect Choice for All Kitchen Styles
- Should I Hire a Professional for My Kitchen Design?
- Simple Solutions for A Flawless Cabinet Installation
- Storage Solutions for Your Kitchen Made Simple
- The Benefits of Custom Designed Kitchen Cabinets
- Treasured Freatures: Cabinet Storage Trends in 2016
- Yes! You CAN Have Light Kitchen Cabinets and Dark Floors!
- What to Consider When Buying Kitchen Cabinets
- Kitchen Cabinets Designs: Which is Right for You
- Tips for Staining Kitchen Cabinets
- Cleaning and Caring for Kitchen Cabinets
- How to Choose Contractor for Kitchen Cabinet Installation
- Choosing Kitchen Cabinets: Stock or Custom
- Kitchen Cabinet Colour Schemes & Finishes
- Benefits of Ready to Assemble Kitchen Cabinets
- Tips for Choosing High Quality Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Timeless Colour Combos for your Kitchen cabinet
- 7 Ways to Maximize Storage Space in your Kitchen Cabinets
- 8 Mistakes you want to avoid while painting kitchen cabinets
- Choosing a Kitchen Cabinet Material: A Simple Guide
- Budgeting for your kitchen cabinets
- Cabinet Door Styles to spruce up your kitchen
- Painting your Kitchen cabinets
- The A2Z of Kitchen Cabinetry – Part 1
- The A2Z of Kitchen Cabinetry – Part 2
- The Complete Guide to Refacing your Kitchen Cabinets
- Things to ask your Custom Kitchen Cabinet Maker
- Care and Maintenance Tips for Your Kitchen Cabinets
- Adding More Cabinets to Your Kitchen
- Re-facing Your Tired Kitchen Cabinets
- Painting Your Kitchen Cabinets to Update the Look
- Why You Need to Update Your Kitchen Cabinets
- The Best Way to Clean Your Kitchen Cabinets
- Refreshing Your Kitchen Cabinets
- Ways to Update Your Kitchen Cabinets
- Are You Getting the Most Out of Your Kitchen Cabinet Space
- Are Your Kitchen Cabinets Making Your Kitchen Look Old and Drab
- Benefits of Choosing Custom Kitchen Cabinets
- Add 5 These Features to Your Kitchen Cabinets
- Painting Your Kitchen Cabinets Doesn’t Have to Be Hard: Tips to Help
- Learn How to Paint Your Kitchen Cabinets: The 101 Guide
- Your Kitchen Cabinet Buying Checklist
- Your Kitchen Cabinet Guide: What to Know and Look For
- Signs You Need to Replace Your Cabinets and Not Reface Them
- Beautiful Kitchen Cabinets: Door and Drawer Options
- Things to Consider When Choosing Kitchen Cabinet Pulls and Knobs