Two of the most popular home renovations for Toronto home owners are the remodeling of kitchens and bathrooms. That’s why at Kitchen and Bath, we specialize in these two areas. We also offer custom solutions for closet space and entertainment units, so you can be sure that your finished product will be as unique and beautiful as you deserve.
Best Renovation Tips for your Bathroom
Renovating a bathroom can entail many levels of work and cost – it really just depends on what you want to do. Folks that are content with the layout of their bathrooms may just like a seasonal update to the linens, rugs and shower curtains or maybe a decorative candle here or there. On the other end of that spectrum, some homeowners want to completely gut their old, outdated water closets and outfit them with clawfoot tubs or beautiful tile and shiny new fixtures. It can be a daunting decision to choose which bathroom renovations will work best for you – but fear not – below we have outlined some of the best tips and strategies for giving you the best bang for your buck when it comes to renovating your bathroom.
- Use good flooring – By “good” we mean sturdy, durable surfaces that can withstand frequent foot traffic as well as water and heavy furnishings like tubs, toilets and vanities. Stone flooring like ceramic tile and marble are excellent options for bathroom floors.
- Shared space – The reason that “Jack-and-Jill” bathroom setups work so well is that they provide great access to the lavatory and are an excellent use of space. Consider it this way: instead of multiple small baths near your guest rooms, one large multiple access one can be a greater asset to your square footage.
- Add some light – Quality lighting fixtures can make a bathroom warm and inviting. Never be afraid of too much light in your bathrooms, just install dimmers so you can bring it down if needed. It is always better to avoid shadows and have too much lighting than too little in your bathroom.
- Don’t skimp on fixtures – Spending a little extra on elegant fixtures can really make a bathroom impress. Bathrooms don’t have to be massive to be stylish and sophisticated. You can easily achieve your desired look with good lighting and shiny fixtures.
- Pick a nice throne – It may seem that there is not much variation when it comes to toilets, but that is a fallacy. Elongated bowls usually have more inviting seats and comfort is key when sitting on the throne. This is a less talked about feature that your guests will remember.
- Test your tub – Key components to selecting a tub are usually depth and length. Deeper tubs are more inviting than the 60 inch standard length. Only you know how much you will use the tub, so take a moment and sit in it to determine if it will suit your needs.
- Re-evaluate the shower area – Instead of a traditional shower confined in a glass chamber or walled in with a large lip, you might consider the elegance of an open air shower behind a partition. This is a popular style and the use of a ceiling mounted fixture will also add style and control over the spread of water.
These tips will ensure that your bathroom renovation or upgrade is a success while managing your expenses for the best return on your investment. Should you have questions, it is always a good idea to consult a bathroom company like Kitchen and Bath that specializes in a variety of layouts so you can choose one that works best for your needs.